Monday, August 18, 2008

Santa Fe

Ok, so I'll admit...one of my favorite movies growing up was Newsies. And every time I think of Santa Fe I think of my favorite actor singing about this city. Enjoy! Santa Fe ~ Newsies Now that we have that taken care of.. :o) Santa Fe, NM - it was our last day of vacation. Boo. Andrew and I headed out from Taos house a little after 10:00. We hadn't taken the opportunity to head to the square so we stopped there on our way out of town. We stopped and got a few post cards. We also found a nice spoon rest with chilies on it. It's cute and matches our red kitchen. Then we headed over to a quaint little book shop. I, of course, headed straight to the children's books. I can't resist. I got the book about needing a rock that I mentioned earlier in the week. I also got a few for my classroom. We study Indian legends, so I got one that had the Legend of the Indian Paintbrush. I was excited!! And, now ready to head to Santa Fe. We opted not to take the high road. We had seen most of it on our way up to Taos through Las Vegas. The road ran along the river for a while and had some beautiful views too. Andrew took some while I drove (thanks babe!) We ate sandwiches in the car, so when we arrived in Santa Fe we headed straight to the square. We found a parking spot close to the capital, so stopped to wander around. Not too impressed with the building, but good to see another state capital...We found that the square was being set up so a festival so it wasn't as pretty to look at. I remember it having a very open area, and it wasn't that way. We found another store that had water - very thirsty! The awesome thing is that we found a coffee cup to match the spoon rest from earlier. Same pattern and larger than your standard mug, so I was pretty excited. We continued to mosey around the stores. It was nice to just browse. Many things out of the price range, but it's fun to look. :o) One funny (annoying at the time) story was the lady in front of us at the ATM who thought there was something wrong with the machine when she couldn't pull cash out with her credit card. Duh!!! Not the brightest person we'd come across. Andrew and I found a tasty chocolate shop. We shared 3 chocolates including a tasty peanut butter, caramel cup. Then we found a bead shop. Jennifer and I had talked about wanting to find beads. The store I found wanted $2 for a tiny bead, so I opted for the $6 bag of mixed beads...one for me, one for Jen. Nothing done with them yet, but maybe soon. (Heck, I'm just now finishing the blog...) Andrew and I met up with Jennifer, Jeff and kids, Matt & Brandy and Mom at the Loretta Chapel. That's when we found out dad wasn't feeling well. :o( We entered the chapel and looked at the staircase. Andrew and I had been into 2 other chapels in Santa Fe, and to be honest, liked those a little better. We had both seen the staircase before. Pretty miraculous though... Headed to the hotel and rested up before dinner at Maria's at 6:30. We got there and poor dad and Jeff weren't feeling well. It wasn't a fun way for them to end the trip. No dinner, and an early exit from the restaurant to go rest. Many of us weren't particularly impressed with the food, and after our waitress about lost mom's credit card the last batch of us headed back. I will say they had very tasty sopapillas and I got a very cute picture of JC. After getting back, most of us called it an early night with so many not feeling well or just tuckered out. We had one last meal together in the morning - hotel continental breakfast. It was time to part ways :o( I didn't want to leave...Mom & Dad and Andrew and I were the last to leave. It was a great trip. Thanks mom & dad!!! You guys are the best...we'll have to do it again soon! More pretty views on the way home...I love the mountains! They are so beautiful and when you drive, it's fun to see how the view changes every 5 minutes. :o) We stopped in Tucumcarri to visit the dinosaur museum. Andrew's request, but I had fun too. It was good to have a break from driving. Another stop in Amarillo for a late lunch with Andrew's Aunt Cathy at Joe Taco - yummy! Then we stopped for the night in Wichita Falls, TX. Horribly confusing highway overpasses made it difficult to get going the next morning, but we did. Back to Waco about 3:00 on Sunday. We traded out cars...I don't think I mentioned that we used Brenda's new car - Toyota Prius to help aid with gas mileage and $. We figured we saved enough to make it worth it. Thanks Brenda! We also got to meet their new cat, Lily. Back in the car Monday mid-morning. Sooo tired of the car, but we have to make it home. Here I am about to go crazy. We stopped in Shreveport to get Cold Stone smoothies and walk around. They have a very nice shopping center by the river. Then stopped again in Monroe at Olive Garden. Did some more shopping. I got a few back to school outfits, so I was pleased. Finally back to Atlanta on Tuesday. Whew! We were pretty exhausted. I'm very lucky that Andrew takes care of me and unloads the car after a trip. I don't how that worked out, but I'm not going to complain!! All in all, it was a wonderful trip. Very good to get together as a family for an extended period of time. I have a feeling we'll do it again in another few years.

No comments: