Sunday, August 3, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

Monday July 21, 2008
...Ok, so I really can't say "again", because I'd never been horse-back riding in my life. But, today was the day!! I was very excited, and kind of nervous. Andrew was too. It didn't help when we had to sign a release that says the horse acts on it's own sometimes and could throw the rider. Eek! I just stopped reading, signed the form, and picked out a helmet. Bring on the horsey! Going horseback riding was Dad, Matt, Brandy, Andrew and myself. Our guide led us over to the "mounting stump" and tried to match our riding skills with the horses. Dad rode General Custer, Matt rode Manny, Brandy on Lil Red, Andrew on Hannibal Hank and I was on Pearl. We rode on an uphill trail that followed a small river in the ski valley. There were some beautiful views of the mountains around us. Brandy, mom and I the night before were trying to figure out where Julia Roberts' house was (we heard she had a house in Taos), and we passed right by it on our trail ride! :o) Onward and upward to the mid-way point - the small waterfall where the picture was taken. We stopped for a short rest and then headed back down. Ouch! That's a hard ride - downhill on a horse. "Lean back!" We arrived back down at the bottom of the trail, and headed to Tim's Stray Dog Cantina to meet the rest of the gang for lunch. The weather was perfect for an outside table. Andrew and I ordered tuna melts. I wasn't a huge fan, but I was so hungry after the ride that it was sufficient.
After lunch, the group split up - some headed to Taos, while the others headed for the ski lift. From 9,207 feet up to 11,819 feet...quite a ride! Mom, Jeff and Julia headed up before us. Then Andrew, dad and I headed up. It was about a 10 minute ride to the top. Once at the top it seemed we were at eye level with many mountains around us! We had a great view of Wheeler Peak - the tallest point in New Mexico. There was even still snow on the top! We heard during our horseback ride that there was 8 inches of snow that fell on Memorial Day weekend.
After taking many pictures, we headed back down. This trip was a bit more queasy on some stomachs. Not me! I've never had much of an issue with heights, but Andrew kept his eyes on the book he brought with him. I took it all in. Pretty view of the Ski Valley down below us.
After spending some time in the ski valley, we headed back to the house. Andrew and I were pretty sore, so we decided to give the hot tub a try. It was pretty cold and rainy, but hey, it's a hot tub, right? We got in and it did feel pretty good on our sore muscles, but after about 10 minutes, I'd had enough. The rain drops were starting to feel more like little icy pellets! Ouch! It also wasn't very fun trying to get out with the cold wind blowing-but the hot/cold was kind of refreshing on my skin. Back inside we took it easy. I think I finally made my Wii me and took a gander at some tennis. Fun times. Matt & Brandy provided dinner-chicken, steaks, squash, potato wedges-yum! Again, it was good to sit as a family to a home cooked meal. Afterwards, we had cupcakes and ice cream to celebrate mom & dad's 33rd anniversary. 33 years - that's a good while :o) It was fun to celebrate together, even if it was a few weeks late (their anniversary is July 12).
After the kids went to bed, the adults headed to the table for a game of Songburst. It was a bit harder than I think we expected. Andrew had a good rule for next time - don't pick the card if no one knew the song...It took us a while to go even halfway around the game board. The boys ended up winning. boo.
Time for bed ... see you tomorrow! Oh yeah, and one of my favorite pics of the trip...Jetta, Jennifer, me, and mom.

No comments: