Monday, August 4, 2008

Llama Mama

Tuesday July 22, 2008
Today was the day we had planned for the Llama hike. Going on the trek was Jennifer, Julia, JC, Mom, Andrew and myself. We headed to Questa - about a 45 minute drive north to Columbine Canyon in the Carson National Forest. JC rode in the car with Andrew and I. It was fun to play peek-a-boo and make silly faces at him from the front seat. He seemed to have a good time with it as well. :o) We arrived and met Andrew, our guide, and the 5 llamas that would be journeying with us. 3 were loaded with supplies for lunch and the journey and 2 were ready with llama saddles for the kiddos to hop on and go for a ride. The 3 with supplies were Mateo, Dakota, and Andalito. JC rode Rudy, and Julia rode Vato. It was cute to get JC to pet Rudy and here him say "Giddyup Rooody." They both took a little bit of time to warm up to the llamas, but were eager to ride a few minutes in. JC had a hard time deciding if he wanted to ride or walk. He actually wanted someone to hold him, and Andrew did well to wear the backpack. After 2 trips in and out we said "enough". It was either walk or ride. He bounced between the two for most of the journey up the mountain. Which, yeah, I was under the impression that it wasn't going to be such a hike. But boy, was it! I was definitely out of breath several times. I guess that should've been expected. We were in the mountains; thinner air, harder to breathe. Needless to say, we were all ready for a break when we came to the open pasture where lunch would be. Lunch was provided by the llama hike service and it was gourmet turkey sandwhiches (very yummy!), chips/salsa, carrots, and a delicious coconut chocolate chip bar. It energized us all for the return trip...but let's be honest, it's easier to hike downhill than uphill! One interesting thing that we found out aboult llamas, and in particular these llamas, was they had very specific places to use the restroom. They only went there. Which I guess was nice because you knew when to move out of the way! It was a fun hike, but after horseback riding the day before Andrew and I were pretty sore. Ready for another trip to the hottub when we returned. This time - no rain pellets attacking my neck. Yay! After a few hours of relaxation time, we got ready for our Campbell Family Photo session. We headed to Overland Sheep Trading Co. It was a little plaza with colorful flowers-there were many artists in there drawing, painting, taking pictures. And I can say that if I lived in Taos, I would definitely make this a location for doing artwork. It made me want to ask one of the artists for a piece of paper and the use of her pastels...very inspiring. The sky was also the perfect shade of bluish/gray- it was about to rain which made the sky in all our pictures look like a background. Taos Mountain was in many of our pictures, and I don't think you could've asked for a prettier setting. We had fun making faces at the people getting pictures taken. Brandy has a funny one of me where I'm trying to get JC and Jetta to look at me and smile. Thanks, Brandy! It did start to rain which was a bummer. We had to rush through pictures to get all the ones we wanted. But, they turned out well. It'll be good to have those pictures to look at and remember the trip. Andrew and I hosted dinner at Orlando's that night. Unfortunately, they didn't take reservations and could only get us at 2 separate tables. Andrew and I ordered the fish tacos. I thought they were delicious, Andrew thought they were a too much on the spicy side. Jennifer suggested putting sugar on them to help take away some of the spice. Then I said I could call him Sugar Lips. Funny, right Jennifer? :o) I'll let the rest of that story stay at that little corner table!
We headed back and no game tonight...we were pretty tired. Andrew, myself, Jennifer, and Jeff headed to bed while Mom, Matt, & Brandy went to check out the pool. Hmmm, what did Dad do? Drink coffee? I'm not sure. Early night for some much needed sleep. Tomorrow is train day!!

1 comment:

Hughes Family said...

I think Dad put Jetta to bed.