Saturday, March 5, 2011

It's been awhile...

...and life with Molly has been very busy. I could kick myself for not doing better at keeping up with blogging. Since my last post we've been to New Orleans for Andrew's college reunion, Kansas City for my HS reunion and Thanksgiving, and of course Christmas. While I hope to get caught up eventually, I wanted to go ahead and share our trip to Athens, GA last weekend while it's fresh. I can't find the cord to upload pictures to the computer, so those will come later. We've lived in Atlanta for 6 years. Every year I've searched the Baylor athletic schedule in hopes they would come this way. FINALLY, baseball was coming to play UGA in Athens (a little over an hour from us). We've always wanted to head up there. We had heard good things and since it's where REM met, there's some musical interest as well. We headed up Saturday mid-morning. Got there in time to grab a quick lunch at Subway before getting to the game. If you know me, you know my love for all things baseball. There's something I've missed about the "ping" of the metal bats hitting the ball. I hadn't been to a college game since my time in Waco. It was a sunny day, but still a slight chill in the air. It was a fun game - Baylor ended up losing 4-3. I would've liked to see them win, but I'm ok with it since they won Friday and Sunday winning the overall series. After the game, Molly was ready for a nap so we checked into our hotel. We were all pretty tired so took a quick rest before going out to find dinner - ending up at Logan's. Molly's first steak...yum! Sunday was a beautiful day - mid 70's and sunny. We drove to downtown Athens and pulled out the stroller. Time for the "REM walking tour." Perfect day for it! We saw the steeple from the church of their first show, the train trestel bridge from the cover of their first album "Murmur", Weeber D's Soul Food - Automatic for the People, the old & new 40 Watt clubs, and of course - Wuxtry Records - where the band members met. Andrew has turned me on to REM so it was a fun walk for both of us. After all that walking we were ready for some lunch. One of our favorite places in Atlanta, Doc Chey's, has a location in Athens, so we went there. Delicious! It was while we were eating lunch that Molly and I had our first "gut laugh, you-had-to-be-there" moment. I had just put a bite of food in her mouth and she laughed or did something that made it fly back out of her mouth. It startled her and she started laughing, which made me laugh, which made her laugh. We were both belly laughing at each other for the silliest thing. Andrew calmly looked up from the newspaper and asked, "what's so funny?" We both looked at him and I said "You had to be there..." It was a fun mom/daughter moment. Even the little things that seem like nothing are special to share. We had discussed going to Sunday's baseball game, but decided to finish seeing campus, and then head back to Atlanta (with a stop at the outlets first, duh!). It was a wonderful weekend get-away that was much needed. It's amazing what a night away from home will do for the mental state of mind. I promise it will not be another 6 months before I post again. After all - we had Molly's first ONE YEAR OLD birthday celebration today!

No comments: