Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How Would You Measure A Lion?

We've been doing measurement in math this week. Yesterday's lesson was about converting feet and inches to only inches (Ex. 3 feet, 4 inches would be 40 inches). One question on last night's homework asked for an item they wouldn't use feet and inches to measure and explain why not...here are some of the answers we received: 1. An apple seed because it's too small to measure with feet and inches. (good!) 2. You wouldn't measure water with feet and inches because it's liquid. You could use cups (great!) 3. I wouldn't measure a lion with feet and inches. I think he would be so mad that I was touching him, he would just kill me. (hilarious!) That is one of my favorite answers I've ever received while teaching 3rd grade. I laughed out loud for several minutes when I read it, and then again later while thinking about it. Ahhhh kids. They really do say the darndest things!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Holy cats, I just exploded with glee in this coffeeshop. That was fantastic.

Hughes Family said...

Did you ask the student what he would measure a lion with? Maybe he could just measure the shadow so he wouldn't have to touch the lion. I like the apple seeds. Very smart!